Thursday, October 9, 2008

My MESS

I've never said that I'm the world's greatest housekeeper. I'm not even close, but I can usually keep things pretty "fake" clean. Just straightened up enough that I'm not completely humiliated when someone comes to the door. Today must have been just one of those days. It actually snowed today, so the kids were inside most of the day. School doesn't start again until Monday because of Spud Harvest, so my kids are so bored! I won't let any friends come over either because we found out that the "sickness" we were all getting was some viral form of pleurisy. Not fun! But, at least it goes away on it's own. So...
I had some people come over to buy some scentsy stuff this afternoon. I knew they were coming over, I just didn't expect them to come all the way into my house. So, I figured I could blame the cushions and pillows and toys thrown all over the living room floor on the kids (after all, I didn't make the mess!) Normally people just stay in the "entry way". But they came into the kitchen!!! Before I explain my kitchen, let me just say, Ben has been gone for the past few days. His Grandmama died, so he went to Alabama for her funeral. They asked him to dedicate her grave, which he felt honored doing. And while he was there he dedicated his Granddad's grave as well. (It hadn't been done before) So, when Ben is gone I typically don't keep things as clean as normal. So, here's the kitchen: There were bowls, shoes, gloves, toys, books, ripped up paper towels, muddy dog prints, etc... all over the floor. The dishes were still in the sink from yesterday (complete w/ half-eaten dinners from last night and breakfast bowls w/ cereal still in them). There was mail & coloring books & papers all over the counter & the desk was a disaster. I actually saw one of the people looking around like "Oh. My. Gosh." Then Allie comes upstairs with her "nap" hair & no shirt on. She's recently figured out how to take off her clothes, so now I can't keep them on her. Luckily, I had the laundry hidden in the hamper & the garbage was taken out & it actually smelled good because I was making dinner. People are going to think I'm all sorts of white trash. So, needless to say, now the dishes are done, the cushions picked up & as soon as the kids are in bed I'm scrubbing the floors. I was so embarrassed!!! I need to learn better habits! I have to cut myself a little slack though because it really isn't this bad every day, but why did they have to visit my kitchen today?!?!
P.S. I am NOT posting a picture.

9 comments:

Suzy said...

Funny how that happens. With me, people tend to knock on my door before I've gotten dressed or fixed my hair in the morning. (and the embarrassing part is that it's usually not that early in the morning!)

Allison said...

That is so funny, I really would have liked a picture of that one.

mmmandy! said...

That happens to me every time! I'll actually go to the effort of having the kitchen and the rest of the house looking pretty darn good, but does anyone come that day? NO!! They come the following day, when the kids have officially destroyed everything in sight again. And what took me most of the day to clean, they undo in a matter of minutes, I swear! No one would ever believe that I clean this place.

At least I don't have any high expectations of cleanliness to live up to! :)

Anonymous said...

I totally know where you are coming from on this post. Happens to me all the time. Just like the girl Mandy says, why can't they come after my house is all clean.

Jodi said...

I HATE PLEURISY! I had that a couple of years ago and that was the worst sickness I had ever had! I couldn't breath! You poor souls! I hope you get better soon! I have so much empathy for people with lung problems now, because pleurisy just comes along with it...the trauma!

Jennifer said...

LOL! I clean the same way you do, the "fake" way. And when Jared is gone the kitchen looks about the same you you just described yours. So sorry, some had to see it. I feel your pain!

John-David and Kathryn said...

Jenny
I would actually like to see pictures because it would make me feel better. i straighten my house everyday and by dinner time it looks like a war zone. When JD comes home at night I think he wonders what happened during the day. One day when they are all gone we'll miss the mess, right?

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

THAT'S THE WORST! I hate days like that!!!

And... p.s. I tagged you. :) Hope it's something you find fun. :)

RaeLynn said...

I feel bad laughing, but it's only because I can see myself doing the EXACT same thing! :) And yeah...don't people know that you just stop at the doorway? What the heck people?